It was about 10 am this morning in San Francisco and around 8 pm on the island of Skiathos, Greece when I was skyping with my mother, my aunt Nana and their friend Dora. The three of them were spending the last evening of their vacation at my aunt’s summer house and were in a grand mood! For a second, I thought I was there; I could see the breathtaking views behind them (a snapshot of which I have for you below), I was part of the conversation sharing jokes and brilliant stories, I could hear the ice cubes swirl and rattle in their glasses filled with ouzo (my cousin’s famous ouzo, of course). However, I couldn’t have a single bite of the Zucchini and Feta Cheese Squares, my aunt’s great recipe, that they were slowly enjoying without any guilt in front of my eyes. So, when our skype session was over, and I was left with nothing but an empty screen, I thought that the least I could do for myself was to make the Zucchini And Feta Cheese Squares for lunch.
My aunt’s recipe is very simple; a few ingredients mixed together, merely 40 min baking and they’re ready! The squares are purposely very thin and moist with chunks of salty feta, just the right amount of grated zucchini and aromatic herbs. Her recipe calls for dill but as I didn’t have any, I substituted the dill with flat leaf parsley. This savory dish makes a perfect light lunch, and is a great idea for a picnic or an informal buffet as it is twice as delicious when served at room temperature. Recipe makes 24 squares.
- 3 cups feta cheese, crumbled with a fork
- 2 large (or 3 smaller) zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups self rising flour (about 410 g)
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- A pinch or two dry spearmint
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grate the zucchini on the large holes of a grater.
- Transfer the grated zucchini in a strainer with 1 teaspoon of salt. Let drain for 5 min. Squeeze the zucchini firmly to press out as much liquid as possible.
- In the meantime, add the eggs, the milk and the oil in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for 1 min on medium speed.
- Add the flour and beat well until it is well incorporated with the liquids. The batter should have a cake consistency mix. Add more milk to make it thinner or flour to make it thicker, if needed.
- Add the zucchini, the feta cheese, the herbs, a little salt and a little pepper. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Line a Baker’s Half Sheet (about 18 x 13 inches or 45 x 33 cm) with parchment paper.
- Pour the mix and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 40 min or until golden brown.
I found a photo that shows the incredible views from my aunt’s summer home (above). And below is a snapshot of this morning via skype, while we were talking.
You can find more info about the beautiful island of Skiathos, Greece, here.