What’s a girl to do when her friend pulls up in her driveway with a trunk full of tomatoes? That’s just what happened last weekend when our friend called on her way back from her parents’ farm with a car filled with organic, colorful heirloom tomatoes! Honestly, the moment I saw these beauties, I thought of only one thing: taking photos – that’ s how beautiful they were! I filled a large basket, and since then, we’ve been enjoying the most delicious Greek salads; the colors, the flavor, the juices… I cannot find the right words to describe them. I pureed and cooked the ripest ones along with herbs and a little garlic and froze the sauce for a homemade marinara to use over pasta later. And today, I thought of using a couple of them to make an easy tart. With store bought puff pastry, the prep time was less than 10′. Of course, you can use any variety of tomatoes, and any kind of goat cheese, but don’t forget that little feta cheese that adds just the perfect touch of salt! In about half hour, you will have a delicious savory tart for lunch or a dinner’s first course.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed overnight in the refrigerator)
- About 2 medium heirloom tomatoes thinly sliced (if using the regular tomato variety, remove most seeds and pat dry with paper towel)
- About 1½ cup goat cheese, crumbled with a fork
- About ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled with a fork
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Unfold and place the puff pastry onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Run a knife around the pastry sheet, about ½ inch from the border – do not cut through (this is to form the crust).
- With a fork, poke plenty of holes on the pastry, but not on the border/crust.
- Lightly brush the puff pastry with olive oil, middle and crust.
- Place the sliced tomatoes to cover all the tart.
- Add the crumbled cheeses.
- Sprinkle some olive oil and oregano and add freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for about 30′ or until the crust is golden and the cheeses melt.
- Serve immediately or warm.