I originally made this recipe with shrimp and today I tried it with beef, but chicken breast would be just as good. You can use whatever kind of peppers you have in the fridge, either green, yellow, red or a combination. Serve with white rice or basmati rice.
Really tasty and easy for a week night dinner! Try it!
- 1 pound top sirloin cut into 1 1/2 inches long strips (or about 500 g)
- 2 bell peppers cut into strips 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion cut into strips
- 4 green onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 2 + 1 tablespoons Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
In a large non-stick skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil, add bell peppers and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add onion and cook for another 3 minutes. Continue stirring.
Add green onion and cook until peppers, onions and green onions are tender.
Remove from skillet and keep aside.
In the same skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil, if needed.
Add beef, salt & pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
Return peppers/onions/green onions into the skillet.
Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt & pepper if needed, and cook for about 20 minutes or until all ingredients are well combined.