This rich and moist cake is made of humble ingredients and is as easy to make as 1-2-3! It does not contain any eggs, milk or butter, so it’s good for when you want to watch your diet, or those with dairy allergies. You will not find this recipe elsewhere, it is one of my very own! I sure hope you like it and that you will bake it often, not only for its deliciousness, but also because it takes care of those overripe bananas that no one wants to eat but no one wants to throw away either.
Make sure to use overripe bananas – not just ripe! They work best for this recipe.
You will need a 10-inch (10 cup / 25 cm) non-stick bundt pan.
- 1 cup vegetable oil (I use Mazola corn oil)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 mashed overripe bananas
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the oil and the sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine in a medium bowl the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda and the cocoa. Transfer into the oil and sugar mixture. Add the water and the vanilla extract and beat for two more minutes, until all the ingredients are well combined. Add the bananas, and combine gently.
- Transfer the mixture into a prepared 10-inch (25 cm) non-stick bundt cake pan and bake at 355°F (180º C) for about 45-55 minutes, until the top of a knife comes out clean. Sprinkle with powder sugar, if desired.