If you want a quick, meatless meal, full of vitamins, and taste, try this orzo recipe that was given to me by my mother’s best friend, Litsa (a super cook!). You will love how rich and full this meal is!
- 2 cups orzo (350 gr)
- 3/4 pound white mushrooms (about 350 gr), sliced
- 2 peppers (red, orange or yellow) cut in chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce (400 gr) with no seasonings
- 5 tablespoons Greek Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups boiling water (plus more, if needed)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Italian parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
In a large non-stick skillet, heat one teaspoon oil and add the onion, the peppers and the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until soft and remove from pan. In the same skillet, add one teaspoon of oil and the orzo and cook for a few minutes until the orzo turns white, stirring constantly.
Return the onion/mushroom mixture into the skillet with the orzo and add the rest of the ingredients, except the parsley. Set aside some boiling water, in case you need to add more during cooking. Cook for about 20 minutes or until orzo is al dente. Serve warm and garnish with parsley.